Books, Periodicals, and More
Here are a few of the must-have, go-to magazines, books, films, etc. that beekeepers should have in their collection (or on reserve at the library!) These are just the tip of the iceberg; you’ll find many a blog, website and more waiting out there to help you in your beekeeping journey!
(PSBA members receive a 25% discount on subscriptions to the above magazines, see Membership page)
The ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture: An Encyclopedia Pertaining to the Scientific and Practical Culture of Honey Bees, Amos Ives Root, Ann Harman, Dr. Hachiro Shimanuki, Kim Flottum – Constructed as an easy to use and comprehensive encyclopedia of honey bees, beekeeping and beekeeping practices and equipment, the alphabetical listings cover absolutely everything in the beekeeping world.
- The Art & Adventure of Beekeeping, Ormond & Harry Aebi – A charming and informative read by a son and father that produced “404 lbs. of honey from a single hive.”
- The Backyard Beekeeper, Kim Flottum – This complete honey bee resource contains general information on bees; a how-to guide to the art of bee keeping and how to set up, care for, and harvest honey from your own colonies; as well as tons of bee-related facts and projects.
- Bees & Honey: From Flower to Jar, Michael Weiler – Author follows the bees throughout the year.
- The Buzz About Bees: Biology of a Superorganism, Jurgen Tautz – The pictures alone are worth having a look at this book. This book dives a bit deeper into the inner workings of the honey bee.
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Beekeeping, Dean Stiglitz and Laurie Herboldsheimer – Despite it’s idiotic name (!), this is a very helpful and easy to grasp book for newbies!
- Honeybee Democracy, Thomas D. Seeley – Thomas D. Seeley is one of the top honey bee researchers in the world today. This book follows Dr. Seeley’s research into why and how honey bees make decisions collectively and democratically. You’ll be looking for the waggle dance next time you inspect your hives!
- Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture, Ross Conrad – One of the go-to books on natural beekeeping.
- The Practical Beekeeper: Beekeeping Naturally, Michael Bush – If you want everything that Michael Bush has on his website in a book, then this is your book!
- Bee Informed
- Honey Bee Suite – Rusty Burlew
- The Practical Beekeeper – Michael Bush
- Scientific Beekeeping – Randy Oliver
- Washington State Beekeeping Forum
- Washington State Beekeepers Association
- Queen of the Sun: What Are the Bees Telling Us? – This is the movie that really captured the publics attention about the plight of the honey bee. And don’t miss the French man and his moustache loving bees!
- Vanishing of the Bees – This film explores the struggles two commercial beekeepers face as they plead their case on Capital Hill and travel across the Pacific Ocean in the quest to protect their honeybees.